the hands of time.
Mom and I play games and do puzzles to help keep her mind sharp. Some days we see progress and some days – not so much. I’m still making that transition from seeing her as astute and focused all the time to confused and foggy more often now. It’s a hard transition to make.
Friends who have been down this path tell me that there will come a time when I will want to just nod my head and agree with whatever she says. I’m not ready for that. I want to try and keep her memory and dignity intact for as long as possible. It somehow feels less than honorable to “humor” her. I know I’ll need to make a shift in my thinking, but I’m just not there yet.
7 comments:
I know just what you mean. My father got to that point and it was very, very hard.
Stay strong my friend. When you have to I know that you will make the best choice. Just follow your heart.
let it happen in its own time...enjoy the games, make the memories...the day will come when its time...
Randy is right. We adjust day by day making the best we can is what counts though it's hard.
Magpie, you left a comment on my post which made me LOL. I'm hoping you keep that sense of humor intact. It might serve you--and your mother--well in the days, months ahead.
Blessings and PEACE!
Steve E
I feel as you do too. It is hard for me to think of my Mother as being uncertain or even asking me how to do something. Sometimes I just cannot handle it.
My Mother is 95 and still on her own. Her house is for ssale and she wants to move closer to me. Which I agree. She lives on Whidbey Island now so it is a whole day trip to visit her, so I see her once a week and spend the day. She is quite active and alert and just gave up her car. (I know, Cringe) but I see she is getting very fragile. MB
I'm sorry your mother is losing her memory-- my grandma is in the mid-stages of it now. In many ways, she's a lot like my children. She wants what she wants when she wants it, and has lost her social filter completely-- you know, the filter that prevents you from saying certain things. She still knows my children when she sees them, but when they're not in front of her she doesn't remember them.
It is so hard on you, the caregiver. I hope you're getting plenty of outside stimulation and have lots of support! It's really important to take care of yourself, too.
Just remember she'll always be your mom, always be who she was-- it's in you, and in your daughter, and because of that will never be gone.
Post a Comment