The “New Beginning” pictures I just posted were taken on Tuesday morning. This is the picture of the nest that I took this morning – Thursday.
Now I know in the previous picture (plus I actually saw with my own two little peepers) that there were two eggs hatching that day.
But there is only one little baby in the nest. I looked around to see if I could find the one who doesn’t seem to have made it, and I couldn’t find anything. And I have to say, this little one isn’t so very little for only being in the world for two days. Greg is thinking that maybe a roadrunner got the other baby, but I don’t know why it would leave one. I guess it’s all about how life works, but I’m missing the other little fellow.
9 comments:
I just learned this fact earlier this year. Sometimes in a bird nest, only one egg is meant to survive. For example, with an owl, it's normal for one to survive with the two eggs getting tossed out. However, the nesting sites of the Great Horned Owls around town sported something like 2 or 3 owlets!!! per nest.
The other part could also be that crows, roadrunners, etc went after the little one. It could have fallen out and been snatched up by a coyote or cat. But you gotta admit....that little one is really cute:) Love that shot. I feel the same way when observing a nest on a daily basis.....kinda like your the bodyguard of the nest:)
And PS. You guys MOTIVATE me. I can't imagine the blogger world without you both. And I look forward to meeting you both this year. It's going to be a blast. Okay, my other half is giving me the eye...like, "Get off the computer:)" Time to spend time together. Nighty night!
it is sad...you would hope that all new life would survive but sadly it does not...i dont even want to speculate on the how, but just the respect the life that does live...
I know just how you feel. It's the Grackles that take our little chicks. I just keep telling myself that they have to eat too, but it does seem sad.
This is such a cute picture! I don't think I have seen a dove so young. Just a little ball of fluff.
Don't get too attached.
Aw, great photos, Magpie. I have a similar post scheduled for tomorrow - and we didn't even talk about it! How weird. :-)
aw..that is a sad mystery! But the little guy left sure is sweet!
This one is just too too sweet!!
Sorry about the other one. Sometimes only one is meant to survive. 'Sigh'
Did I tell you my email got hacked and now is floating somewhere in cyber space somewhere. I have a new addy I will email it to you. MB
So adorable.
Vwhat a sweet picture. The wild kingdom can be cruel as well as beautiful can't it.
What a cute little bird. At first I thought it might be a duck! Duh!
Post a Comment