Musings....
We are drawn to each other because of our similarities, but it is our differences we must learn to respect." Unknown
Thursday, June 25, 2009
Growing pains..
Well...I just purchased a ticket for my 14 year old daughter to fly alone to Dallas. She's only been on a plane one time before with both of us and she was like 4 at the time. This is such a big step for her and for me. She has an opportunity to go with her friend to Disney World and all we have to do is get her to Texas. That's a great opportunity that I don't want her to miss, but I'm not ashamed to say I'm more than a little worried. This is going to lead to things like dates, and learning to drive and leaving home....I can see it now, we're on that quick slide where my last little birdie is beginning to spread her wings and will be gone before I know it. Hence the growing pains, but I'm the one feeling the pain. This time in a child's life is such a double-edged sword. You've raised them to be strong and independent, but then all of a sudden they ARE strong and independent. You want them to experience life and move forward without fear and with confidence, but at the same time, you just want to keep them close and safe and warm and wrapped in your arms. Years ago I had to put my oldest on a plane alone to go and spend some time with his Dad. I cried for the first 24 hours he was gone and slept in his bed for the first two days. But you have to let them live. You have to let them grow. He's become a strong, confident, capable young man that I am so proud of everyday of my life. She'll be the same one day and I'll be just as proud of the young woman she becomes. But right now, I'm a worried, nervous mom who is going to have to let my baby get on that big plane all by herself.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Photographs....
All photos on the blog are mine unless I decide to give credit where credit is due...and I always do.
Photos on my blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Photos on my blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
2 comments:
It's always been easier for me to just dive in and start trying things. That's how I learn best. It can be frustrating at times, but it's usually worth it.
Just about a decade ago... I put Paula on an air plane to go to visit her 'internet' friends in Texas. One of those friends was her online boyfriend. He had come to visit us first and I had visited with his mom and dad of course, but it was a very difficult time for me as well. You know my little Paula...she is too much like me at her age. *cringes and remembers a certain trip to Jerome, AZ with my best friend*. Your daughter will do just fine, afterall you have been a great influence in her life, and there is no question in my mind that you have provided all the building blocks she needs to make delicate decisions in her life. Paula is now 26, and happily married and I am past the majority of those gray-hair moments :) *hugs* sweet sister she will do just fine, and I am here for you if you should need a shoulder through these growing pains. Love ya... Mary
Post a Comment