Musings....

Musings...."In the end we are all separate: our stories, not matter how similar, come to a fork and diverge.
We are drawn to each other because of our similarities, but it is our differences we must learn to respect." Unknown




Monday, January 16, 2012

Settling in…

 

DSC_0006

These last three weeks have been some of the hardest days of my life.  I had to finally make the decision to place our mom in a skilled nursing facility.  Although the decision was a joint one made by myself and my three brothers, it was the fact that I was beyond my abilities physically to care for her safely anymore that forced the choice. There is a ton of guilt I feel and struggle with daily even still.

It has been a difficult process and thank goodness we had my sister-in-law, Lisa, to guide us through all the twists and turns.

Mom breaking her leg was the final situation that necessitated the changes. I feel good about where she is and she’s getting therapy for both her leg and to help her unlearn some bad habits and learn some new good ones about moving around in general.  She is making new friends and I hope she’ll embrace this new phase in her life and enjoy herself.

But it  did feel like leaving my children on their first day of kindergarten.  :(   I love you, Mom.

6 comments:

Brian Miller said...

hugs.

i know that is a hard call to make.

i am sure you made the best one...

Kathy said...

Now I understand your absence recently. There is just so much you can do and you've made a lot of sacrifices in the past few years; in fact, you are still making them. Your mom is lucky to have someone like you around with her best interests at heart.

Magic Moments said...

I understand you that it is difficult...but I sure you made the best ...hugs for you

Diane AZ said...

Sometimes it is hard to do the right thing. Your mom knows you love her and you want her to be safe and comfortable. ((hugs))

Judy said...

I know how hard that decision must have been. But now you can go to see her and have a nice peaceful visit.

Enchanted Oak said...

It's very painful to have to admit you're at the end of your rope. It feels like a human failing, although you tell yourself you're just a human being human. With my mom, I studied how good trained people are at the service they give to infirm elders, and it was easier then to acknowledge I didn't have that skill set, and in fact it IS like leaving your children on the first day of kindergarten. There is fear and clinging on both sides of that very well-trained teacher. Go and let those teachers work!

Photographs....

All photos on the blog are mine unless I decide to give credit where credit is due...and I always do.


Photos on my blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.