While spending time in the Pine Cemetery, Annie, Theresa and I noticed that on the back of several of the headstones the names of the person’s children were listed.
I can honestly say I have never noticed this before. Is this something that you find common in your area? If anyone knows anything about the tradition, please share it with me.
11 comments:
intersting...i will have to lookk at our cemetary and see what i find...have not noticed it before either...
Interesting observation, I haven't noticed that at any of the cemeteries I've visited.
I've never noticed this before. Wasn't this area settled by Mormon pioneers. Perhaps it's a Mormon custom. It is rather nice. Although I never wanted my name on a tombstone!
That's an interesting observation. I tend not to visit cemetaries.....except when I'm back home visiting my those in my family who have passed.
Not is out area. Nice shot.
Such an interesting observation...
Interesting custom. I haven't seen anything like that out this way. Poking around old timey cemeteries is something I like to do. MB MB
Hello Magpie ... thanks for the comment on Taphophile Tragics.
I gather that these children are not deceased and in the grave along with their parent(s). No, I am not aware of this practice in any of the cemeteries in Australia or Paris that I have visited. However, it is interesting to discover the origin of the practice. Give me a day or so, and I will research a little.
I am deep in a TT session AND a CDPB Theme Day session right at the moment. But I will return ...
I have never noticed this before either. Interesting.
Magpie, it is sad...but where I live the Peeps who die have "Hers, His, and Their" children. Family continuity has been lost "somewhere over the rainbow".
Since I do visit cemeteries here and elsewhere, and DO read the engravings, I've never noticed what you describe.
when i go (next week) on my scooter trips, one of the few signs which will pull me off the road, are such as "CONFEDERATE CEMETARY--SIX MILES → "
I'll look more carefully this year!
PEACE to you, Annie and Theresa!
I wonder if the parents requested the children's names to be on the headstone, or if the children, who were probably the ones to purchase the stone after their parents died, made the decision to be included.
Post a Comment