Musings....

Musings...."In the end we are all separate: our stories, not matter how similar, come to a fork and diverge.
We are drawn to each other because of our similarities, but it is our differences we must learn to respect." Unknown




Sunday, May 15, 2011

Walking….

 

I’ve been doing a lot of thinking lately about walking.  Maybe the fact that I’m not able to do much of that now has prompted the thought.  I’m wondering how much difference you see in the phrases “walking through” this world or “walking in” this world.   I feel there is indeed a big difference in the two and when I’m able to be up and about again I want to go “walking in” this world. 

Thinking about all of this brought to mind a picture I took during a trip with Tracy and Kathy to the Desert Botanical Gardens last year.  I didn’t post the pictures of this statue because I wasn’t as pleased with them as I would have liked.  They don’t really do the statue justice.  Sadly, I didn’t write down or photograph the name or information about the statue either, but I’m hoping my blogging buddy, Sharon, will be able to help me out here.

 

DSC_0063

She is “walking in” this world….being a part of it and it a part of her.

DSC_0064 

From what I remember, she is a depiction of a Native American Spirit.  I know I can go online and find out what I need to know, but isn’t it more fun to wait to see what Sharon will remember?

14 comments:

cieldequimper said...

What an absolutely beautiful post and sculpture.

We all strive to walk in this world but most of us nevertheless walk through it most of the time... and that includes me.

cieldequimper said...

P.S.: yes, let me know. With photos, of course! :-)

Kathy said...

Oh, yes, I remember this. My pictures of the same thing were not worthy of saving. I'll be anxious to check back in later and see what Sharon, the expert on the DBG, has to say! Isn't it great to have friends to turn to for that little piece of information you need?

Betsy Brock said...

What an interesting sculpture!

Brian Miller said...

ah, i want to be in the world and it in me...

tracy said...

Nice thoughts, Magpie. Your photos of the sculpture were much better than mine.

Small City Scenes said...

LOVE IT!!! and the thought. I want to walk in the world witnessing and enjoying as much as I can. Sad to walk through and miss most everything. Wearing blinders even. Good thought and words---may I use them?

BTW--Ol Ranch Dog does have a name and it is Bandit. She and her playmate Smokey live with my daughter and family but they are truly working ranch dogs. Both dogs work differently but they both get the job done. MB

Thérèse said...

Not easy to photograph, I tried too. This part of the garden is being redone. I let Sharon write about it...

Pierre BOYER said...

Nice...

Pierre

Cezar and Léia said...

I'm enchanted here, this sculpture is so interesting!
Léia

Sharon said...

I believe this is called Earth Walking (or something very close to that) but I don't remember the sculptor's name and I'm sorry to say, I don't recall the artist's vision of it. It always makes me think of a huge plant walking. I've taken several photos of it but my photos never seem to do it justice. I think your photos here are quite nice. The first thing I thought of when I opened your site and saw your comments was that I should stop by the garden on my way home from work and get the exact name and the artists information but, then I remembered that the Steele Herb Garden is closed right now for major remodeling. So it wouldn't have done me any good to head that way.
In fact, I need to check when they are going to open that section again. I'm kind of anxious to see what they have done there.
I hope you in walking condition very soon. I'd love to make a trek to the garden with you when you are in hiking shape again.

Magpie said...

You have all made my day! I love this interaction! Yes, Sharon, as soon as I'm able to get out and about, we'll have to set up a day to visit the Garden. Thank you for your information - all of you. :)

lizziviggi said...

She is just beautiful, and your words resonate so much with me... as, in fact, they probably do for most people! However, I think you don't necessarily have to walk to be walking in life-- in fact, I'd venture to say you're doing it right now, with us. Thank you!

Judy said...

This is a beautiful post and gets me thinking, the words "in" and "through" are very different in this context.
Sharon would have such fun, out "shooting" with you!

Photographs....

All photos on the blog are mine unless I decide to give credit where credit is due...and I always do.


Photos on my blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.