This is something I wrote for a friend of mine who lost her son in Iraq. He was someone very special and has been sorely missed.
What is the measure of a man? Is it time?...I don't believe so.
Some people can touch so many lives and hearts in far too short a time...leaving their mark by simply being who they are.
What is the measure of a man? Is it money?....I don't believe so.
Money too easily corrupts and taints our world. A man whose currency is honor, compassion and self-sacrifice is rich beyond words.
What is the measure of a man? Is it fame? I don't believe so.
What is fame but the fickle fawning of small-minded fools. True fame lies in reaching out a hand and lifting up a soul who never knows your name, but who will never forget you.
What is the measure of a man? Is it worldly possessions? I don't believe so.
Wordly possessions are things that can be taken from you or fall to dust. Grace, humility, dedication and love are the soul's possessions. Yours always to hold tight in times of need or shower generously on those you love.
So what is the measure of a man? I believe it has more to do with what he leaves behind. The people he's changed, the difference he's made, the respect he's earned and the loss that's endured. Eric was the measure of a man.
No comments:
Post a Comment