Musings....

Musings...."In the end we are all separate: our stories, not matter how similar, come to a fork and diverge.
We are drawn to each other because of our similarities, but it is our differences we must learn to respect." Unknown




Friday, November 6, 2009

Cooking, cowboys and chaps…..

Let me start by saying, I have never been to a book signing before last night. I had such a wonderful time!! DSC_0286Why haven’t I done this before? I’m sure my wonderful time had a lot to do with the group that went – not just my group, but all the people who came to see Ree, Pioneer Woman; wife, mother, rancher, cook, and blogger extraordinaire. She is such a down-to-earth person…very real and very approachable. She really is like the best friend you just haven’t met yet.  I read about Ree in the newspaper and knew her life sounded just like what I know my niece, Leslie, is dreaming about happening one day. So I sent the link to her and my sister-in-law, Lisa, and we have all become addicted.

Lisa, Leslie and I went last night to Tempe to the Changing Hands Bookstore…along with a few hundred other people. We met up with one of Leslie’s friends, Liz. Such a nice person and she grew up on a ranch in Oregon and can really relate to so many of Ree’s stories. I don’t think the bookstore had any idea how many people were going to show up. I spoke with a woman who had come up from Tucson and was meeting her daughter who was driving down from Flagstaff. DSC_0297 The lady next to me had worked all day and then driven down from Prescott. Ree has such a devoted following.

There were some mix-ups about how seating was going to work, but luckily we were on the ball and got in line in time to have seats. We were packed in that room like sardines, but everyone had such a great attitude…people talking to someone in the seat next to them they had never met and sharing their favorite things about Ree’s blog. Then Ree walked in and the magic began. She really is a very captivating speaker…not because she enjoys it  (she’ll tell you she doesn’t)…but because she’s just so natural and open and spontaneous. Her sister-in-law, Missy, and mother-in-law, were with her. Liz and Les were brave and asked Missy to sign our books too. She was just like Ree…real. And pretty soon, both ladies had lines to sign their pictures in the books too.

During her question and answer session, one of Liz’s friends asked about one of the cowboys pictured on Ree’s website and in the cookbook…now she was happily married, but Liz and Leslie wanted to know if Josh was single!! DSC_0282 (2) That lead to picture taking to show to Josh and possible ideas about exchanging numbers and email addresses…what a hoot! But, hey, can you blame them??

This is a cookbook like none I’ve ever seen before. Full of beautiful photographs of ranch life and step-by-step instructions on how to make some of the most delicious food. Here’s a sampling of some of the pictures in the book.
 
Anyone who follows the blog knows that Ree’s one true love is her husband, Marlboro Man (as she calls him). She has a section on her blog where she recounts their meeting and courtship. You will get hooked!!!  Les, Lisa and I have called and laughed and cried over entries…Les has chewed me out about her not being able to get her homework done because she got caught up in the story and couldn’t stop. DSC_0296Here he is in all his “glory” after working hard, I’m sure.

We had a wonderful time. I’m so glad that I shared the experience with Lisa and Leslie…I know that’s why I had such a good time. We laughed and giggled and had a great dinner at the Wildflower Bread Company and laughed and giggled. I stayed out really late for me….I didn’t get home until 10:45….PM!!! The house hadn’t fallen apart and everyone found something to eat and managed to get themselves into bed…all without me there. DSC_0283Hey, I might try this again sometime…..the book signing I mean….

All photos were taken from “The Pioneer Woman Cooks”.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

A good time was had by all :) It was a first for me too, a long and hot wait but well worth it. I wish we could have had dinner with Ree and Missy. I think maybe we could have married Leslie off without a doubt!!! Thanks for inviting me to go with you gals :)

Kathy said...

Awesome blog! I felt like I was there! I'll have to check out this blog you're hooked on sometime! Yee-haw!

Life Is A Road Trip said...

Wow, that sounds like a fun time! I'm sorry I missed it.

Photographs....

All photos on the blog are mine unless I decide to give credit where credit is due...and I always do.


Photos on my blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.