Sometimes a seemingly innocent request can have far reaching consequences. Lives are altered and perceptions of reality changed. That’s the kind of request that Mark and Kelli made that summer day. Newlyweds with newly melded pet families, Mark and Kelli were leaving for their honeymoon. A cruise. So romantic. In the past I had pet set for Mark’s Rottweiler, Hobie, and his aquarium of fish. Kelli had brought five indoor cats to the mix, one that was in solitary confinement in the master bedroom. It was a simple request; ten day cruise, please take care of them morning and evening, feel free to enjoy the soda in fridge. I had the cute idea of keeping a diary to record touching and comical moments for them to enjoy after their return. Easy enough…or so I thought.
Day One – Evening: No bodies floating. Good news. Everyone seems happy. I don’t think they miss you yet.
Day Two – Morning: Still no floaters. There was a slight difference in attitudes today. I think they’re beginning to miss you. Hobie hadn’t eaten from last night. I think I’ll bring him something special tomorrow.
Day Two – Evening: I think the Cats read my previous entry. There were looks of “You like him better than us.” all over the room. Twix did a really good imitation of a vulture from the top of the cat castle.
Day Three – Morning: Hobie is always happy to see me. The Cats…well…small signs of dissension there. This morning scribble in the litter box was a message. “Bring back Mom.” I think it was Twix.
Day Three – Evening: I may have to start writing in code. I’m sure they’re reading this. I’m a little worried about the fish. Today all the boxes were stacked up by the fish tank and the lid was open. Luckily, all the fish were there…I mean I think so…how many fish did you have????
Day Four – Morning: I’m getting a little concerned. I’m not sure what they meant by leaving that copy of “The Caine Mutiny” on the coffee table. Hobie seems to be trying to tell me something.
Day Four – Evening: Hobie is definitely tying to warn me. Today spelled out in dog food, I found the number for the Pet Psychic. I think he wants to make a phone call. The Cats are just whistling and looking innocent.
Day Five – Morning: I think the fish are on my side. This morning they grouped up to spell out “Watch your back”. Maybe I need to think about making an offering to the Cats…maybe a can of tuna. No, no! That would probably offend the fish and I need all the allies I can get.
Day Five – Evening: Today was a little unsettling. I’ve never seen myself hanged in effigy before. Tic and Tac looked innocent but Thwack was nowhere to be seen.
To be continued….
2 comments:
Dogs are loyal, cats are sneaky, and fish just go with the flow.
At least that's what they taught us in the pet department at Petco. So we bought a guinea pig. They just eat, reliably and steadily.
Ha Ha!! That seems perfectly rational to me!!
Post a Comment