Continued…
Day Nine – Morning: I’m not sure what happened. I woke up this morning in the shower…yesterday just seemed like a bad dream. It must have been…otherwise how did the Cats get me home? That would mean the Cats had been in my house! No, no, that would be too horrible to contemplate. When I walked in this morning, everything looked normal. The sun was shining and honestly I felt a little embarrassed by my fears of the night before. Then I saw it laying there on the coffee table…a duplicate of my house key. My blood ran cold. I didn’t want to look suspicious so I went about my usual routine. I would quietly get the key on my way out. No one would be the wiser. I had just finished up and put the newspaper in the kitchen. I was whistling as I crossed the room to casually pick up the key along with my own. No key! But laying there next to my set of keys was a Polaroid snapshot of me sleeping in my bed.
Day Nine – Evening: I can do this…only one more day. I left the cruise brochure out and circled the day on the calendar that you were due home. They seemed disappointed. I can only hope that means they don’t have time to carry out their nefarious plans. As I was cleaning out the litter box tray, there among the…well, you know, “stuff”…was my duplicate house key! Thank God for my m-o-l-e. That must have been the only way he could think of to safely “pass” the key back to me. Sadly, I can never properly repay the m-o-l-e for all he’s done. Because after all, he will still have to live here among this blood-thirsty lot.
Day Ten – Morning: The fish and Hobie seem happy for me. They wear that shell shocked look of victims who have seen it all before and know they’ll have to go through it again. But today they are able to put that aside and pretend it’s a more innocent time…back before the Cats came to turn their lives upside down.
The Cats??? Well, the Cats are sulking. They look like someone set the wounded bird free before they could come in for the final blow. But yet, there is a look of smugness…like they know there will be another trip, another vacation, another time…
2 comments:
Happy Valentine's day to you. I popped in to find a post about gophers as you suggested on my blog. I can't find it. I didn't get the gopher in my garden last night. He covered up the trap rather than crawled into it. Darn. Send me a link of your gopher wars post.
LOVED Gopher Wars!!!!!
Post a Comment