My dad has always been my hero…I guess most girls might say that about their fathers. But lately I’ve seen sad lives where fathers weren’t heroes….they were something awful and destructive. So I’m reminded all the more just how much I love my father and what he’s meant to me all my life. The strength he’s been, the shoulder to cry on, the example to follow, the validation he’s given and always the love…always the love. Because maybe some people don’t understand…it’s not just being loved that is important – it’s being allowed to love someone back that is the real gift.
Yesterday was my Pop’s 82nd birthday and Greg and I went to see him and visit for awhile. Richard was there and we had such a nice time….just doing simple things and sitting and talking. I love to hear the stories Pop tells. They’re like windows into another world. And really, I guess they are. The world has changed so much from when he was a small boy.
We wondered around the yard and looked and talked and shared. What a wonderful way to spend time.
Beautiful flowers..
Promises of sweet, juicy, wonderful things to come….
And this little guy is my Pop’s special friend. He’s still a work in progress and has a ways to go until he’s as friendly as the little guy before him.
This is a bird house that Richard made for Pop…it’s had some repair work done on it, but the locals still find it appealing. As a matter of fact, there was a curved bill thrasher checking it out while we were there….
Richard calls it the “Ted Kaczynski” birdhouse.
I love my Pop and I’m so very thankful that I’m able to say that. And sharing his little piece of the world with him is always heart-warming and uplifting….I always head home feeling better. He is my hero in every sense of the word…Happy Birthday, Pop!!
2 comments:
82 and going strong! I'm sure he truly enjoyed the visit with you guys. We must count the blessings of each day we have with our parents on this earth especially as they reach their "golden" years.
Aw, now I've missed both your Mom's and your Dad's birthdays! Happy Belated Birthday to them both!
Post a Comment