Musings....

Musings...."In the end we are all separate: our stories, not matter how similar, come to a fork and diverge.
We are drawn to each other because of our similarities, but it is our differences we must learn to respect." Unknown




Saturday, March 26, 2011

You know you’re a shut in….

 

when you start taking pictures of pictures.

Recently, Sharon at Phoenix Daily Photo, posted a picture of the Phoenix Indian School.

DSC_0001 (5)

Which reminded me of pictures I had seen of it in a book with historical photos.

DSC_0003 (2)

 

The book is  “Early Maricopa County 1871-1920”

DSC_0002 (2)

 

This shot is for Ramblin’ Kathy because I think this is one of her favorite houses….maybe…not sure.

DSC_0004 (2)

9 comments:

Brian Miller said...

pretty cool looking school...the regimented lines scare me a bit...lol. hope you get a little fresh air today!!

Diane AZ said...

Neat pictures. I love houses with big front porches like that last one.

Leslie Marie said...

Disclaimer Alert: The following has nothing to do with your post.

I LOVE the picture with the 3 bees!

And I love you, too Auntie.

:) smiLES

Cezar and Léia said...

That's an interesting way of reading a photo book: through photos of a blogging friend!
God bless you!
Cezar

Sharon said...

Thanks for posting these! What a great book to have. You made me get out my Phoenix Then and Now book to look for some photos. They have one photo of the dining hall.

When you are up and around again, take a trip to the Heard Museum. They have a wonderful display of the history of the school and stories from people who actually went there. It's very moving.

cieldequimper said...

Sorry but the Indian school just puts me off.

Magpie said...

Ciel, I can see where you would feel that way. No apologies necessary. :)

Kathy said...

I posted a comment on this post right after it published but it seems to have disappeared! Now what was I wanting to say? Something about how you had managed to find a way to post something interesting without having to stray too far from home. And that wasn't it at all. I don't know if that's my favorite house but it certainly would be one of them. I'm not sure that house still exists. "Center" Street north of McDowell? Was Center Street the precursor to Central? I don't picture anything that elegant remaining there today just north of what would be the Phoenix Art Museum. That is the Alvarado Historic District along that way but the houses, although historic, aren't quite that antique. More like 1920s or '30s as I recall. It's definitely a beauty though, isn't it?

Small City Scenes said...

Interesting. Sad that kids had to be shipped away to school.
Love the old house---we have lots like that here. MB

Photographs....

All photos on the blog are mine unless I decide to give credit where credit is due...and I always do.


Photos on my blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.