Mom and I have been working on a labor of love....going through all the pictures she has accumulated over the years. She wanted to have this done every year for the last several Christmases so that she could give them to the respective children and now grandchildren. Well this is the year!!
You can not imagine what an emotional ride it has been. We have looked at pictures that were very recent then some that were 50 plus years old! It's amazing to see the people who come in and out of our lives. It's funny to laugh at hairstyles or clothes or even home decorations (that we still have!!!). To see all the places we've lived and remember neighbors and houses and schools and friends.
It's sad to see people we'll never be able to visit with again, but enjoyable to see the pictures that bring the memories we cherish so much. I have a picture of Nicole when she was around four years old beneath this absolutely huge oak tree that was in my grandparents' back yard. I used to play under that tree when I was younger than she was in the picture, and my brothers played there before I was born. Sadly, my grandparents and uncle are gone now and so is the beautiful old oak tree. But I see that picture and remember all the fun we had beneath that tree, how it shaded my grandparents' house in the summer and dropped a ton of leaves and acorns in the fall that drove my uncle crazy and I can't help but smile.
There are pictures of people who aren't a part of our lives anymore (I'm not sad to see some of them go), but good or bad, they helped shape our lives and make us who we are now. And looking back, sometimes it's easy to forget the bad and just remember the good times in our lives. And I guess that's okay.
No comments:
Post a Comment