Musings....

Musings...."In the end we are all separate: our stories, not matter how similar, come to a fork and diverge.
We are drawn to each other because of our similarities, but it is our differences we must learn to respect." Unknown




Saturday, December 18, 2010

Rescue me…

Yesterday afternoon, Nicole, Kayla and I went with my BFF, Annie, to rescue some basset hound puppies.  After Annie’s daughter, Lisa,  recently adopted a rescued basset hound, she and Annie have become foster “parents” for other basset’s in need of rescuing.  These puppies came from a puppy mill somewhere in the midwest.

Now Annie had been told these puppies – three of them – were six weeks old.  She was envisioning carrying them around in a cardboard box.

Turns out the puppies – did I mention…three of them – are twelve weeks old and would have eaten any cardboard box she might have brought with her.

DSC_0014

I had the camera, of course, so I didn’t get a puppy to hold.  Kayla, Nicole and Annie all got puppies to hold.  There were two females and one male.   After the three puppies, two teenage girls, and two adult women all got settled in Annie’s Malibu, things were fragrant to say the least.  It was the puppies….honest!

 

DSC_0006

Everyone picked their favorite….this little girl was Kayla’s favorite.  She was also the dominant dog and had lots of energy.

 

DSC_0012

This mellow fellow – the only boy in the group – was Nicole’s favorite.  She wants to keep him and name him Bayard after the dog in Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland.  I had to remind her we already have two dogs and that’s plenty.

 

DSC_0003

This is the third puppy – the second little girl – resting comfortably in Annie’s arms. 

The puppies are headed to Annie and Lisa’s to meet their foster brother, Baldwin, and foster sisters, Trixie and Wrangler.  Baldwin is the rescued basset,  Trixie is a Dachshund, and Wrangler is the old matriarch of the group who wonders whose bright idea all of this was.  The puppies will be at Annie’s house for about a month while they complete their shots and vet care before being adopted out to other loving families. 

Hopefully, Annie, Lisa  and their house will survive the experience.

9 comments:

Life Is A Road Trip said...

Oh, they are so cute. And what a wonderful thing Annie is doing. I have thought about doing something like that before but I'm always afraid I wouldn't want to let the puppies go. xxoo

Small City Scenes said...

they are so cute. We have a half Bassett named Josie. She is wild and wacky and has the Bassett short legs and sorrowful eyes so we call her Lowrider. MB

Kathy said...

I must admit I'd be smitten too. But I'm a sucker for "baby" anything. These are precious pictures. Be sure to go back to Annie's frequently and take pictures as the ones she's fostering continue to grow!

Cezar and Léia said...

A puppy mill?!? :)
They are so charming, aren't they?
God bless you!
Cezar

Brian Miller said...

oh these are perfect...so cute...this is exactly the dog i want...

Cezar and Léia said...

Oh, thanks for the explanation! The name sounded a bit funny to me but I didn't know what it meant... Certainly not nice that the poor creatures are treated just like "things".
God bless you!
Cezar

Diane AZ said...

They are adorable! So nice to see them getting the love and care they deserve. :)

sonia a. mascaro said...

Oh! They are so cute! Just adorable!

lizziviggi said...

What sweet faces! Thank goodness there are kind-hearted people like you gals out there. It must be hard to let them go again... but so worth it.

Photographs....

All photos on the blog are mine unless I decide to give credit where credit is due...and I always do.


Photos on my blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.