Musings....

Musings...."In the end we are all separate: our stories, not matter how similar, come to a fork and diverge.
We are drawn to each other because of our similarities, but it is our differences we must learn to respect." Unknown




Friday, March 2, 2012

Lady in Red….

 

Retouched

There is something about red flowers that I have a terrible time photographing and getting the colors to stay true and the details to look right.  I went by Tracy’s today and she showed me a photo editor that I could play around with.  (She is my tech team, you know.)  This is a ranunculus and they are beautiful flowers. This is a picture I edited  and although I like the final effect, it’s not what my eye saw.

 

This is an example of another ranunculus that I took today.

DSC_0011

This is what my eye saw.  The one above had just as many layers.  But when you take the shot from above, the layers all melt together. 

 

DSC_0025 (3)

This one doesn’t lose all the layering when photographed from above.  Maybe it’s simply the color of the petals.

 

DSC_0014

The orange ones can be almost as difficult, but you can still see the layers.  With the red ones, the block of color goes solid almost.

 

DSC_0008 

I seem to have gotten the angle right here.  Maybe I need to try and take a shot more from the side and not from above.  But I wanted you to see the interesting center of the flower.

 

This is what it looks like when all the petals fall away.

DSC_0007

 

This is a shot more from the side where you can see more layers.

DSC_0011 (2)

I got this shot using a flash though.  Also the red is not the true color of the flower.  The flower is almost a deep blood red.

I am also using a very shallow depth of field.  Maybe I need to deepen that.  Oh well, at least I like my subject matter and will keep experimenting.

8 comments:

Brian Miller said...

i dunno i think it comes down to perspective...the profile shots def give more of the layers and contrast...

Cezar and Léia said...

Wow, feels like spring!
God bless you!
Cezar

Kathy said...

I agree, reds can be very difficult. I too like the shots from the side that show the various layers. They're all lovely.

Judy said...

I always feel content spending time with the flowers, no matter the outcome of the photo. I like seeing the different perspectives that you have shown and how different the same flower can look by just moving the camera a bit.

Anonymous said...

They are all better than any flower photos I ever took!

Rohrerbot said...

Magpie, I think they look great! I have issues trying to take a good flower pic....yours captures all the detail of the petal. They look wonderful:) Phoenix is a bloomin....Tucson will soon:)

steveroni said...

MAGPIE.
You write "Oh well, at least I like my subject matter and will keep experimenting."

I like your subject matter also. Keep experimenting.

Which photo editor?

I know a fellow here in Naples who spends lot of time photographing in the woods--all kinds of nature--but mostly flowers. He posts them on "Flikr"(?) and sells them all over the world. Makes a good living, doing what he loves.

Looking for more--from you!

Randy said...

What no scratch and sniff.

Photographs....

All photos on the blog are mine unless I decide to give credit where credit is due...and I always do.


Photos on my blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.