Yesterday was a really long day for me. I was up and around early to pick my Pop up and make our trip to Congress. It was a sad occasion. A friend of 48 years had passed away and I took him to her funeral. It was a celebration of her life and there were so many of her friends and family there. Pop and I have been working on making the trip to Congress for a couple of months, but things (weather, health issues) just seemed to conspire against us. So on this trip we did a little walking down memory lane also.
Sorry, the lighting wasn’t the best for some of these shots. It was a beautifully sunny day, but there was quite a bit of haze in the air.
As I said before, I love the American flag and will take a picture of it at every opportunity.
I asked the gentleman running this establishment that day if a business had been on the site since 1895…he didn’t know. I don’t think he was the regular shop keeper and I don’t think he had been in town very long. But he was very friendly.
Pop and I took a run up Yarnell Hill….because we could, and because he had a spot in mind in Yarnell that he wanted to see again.
This shot is from the scenic overlook at the top of the hill. See all the yellow blossoms….that’s the Brittlebush. There were so many places on the way down the hill that I wanted to pull over and get a picture. Pop didn’t think that was too advisable. Probably was the safest thing to do…but I’m pretty sure if I had been alone….well, you know me.
Down one of the side roads in Yarnell there is the Shrine of St. Joseph.
It’s a beautifully peaceful place. If you click on the link above to Yarnell, it will tell you all about several things, including the Shrine.
It is quite a hike and we didn’t take it, but I have in the past. It’s very interesting.
This is a picture I took out at the far end of the little town called Stanton. It’s really a ghost town that’s turned into an RV park. Years ago, my Pop did a lot of searching around to find the owner of Stanton to inquire about buying it. At that time, it was owned by a woman in New York City who had won it in a contest in the Saturday Evening Post. The purchase didn’t “pan out” (a little gold mining humor there).
My Pop and I had a wonderful day together. By the time I got him back home, I was due to pickup my grandson so he could stay the night. I got him and got home just in time to get myself freshened up for my girlfriend, Annie, to pick me up and take me to our Bunco night…I didn’t get home until after 10pm!! I was one tired little puppy, but I slept like a baby. :)
30 Days of Music: Day 17 - “Sooner Surrender” Matt Nathanson
5 comments:
I guess you are all a big happy family. It must be great to be able to be around each and everyone of them. And you are also a great daughter and a great mother. They're lucky they have you. rEally, you are just so sweet and kind :)
Wow, you did have a long day. That is such pretty country, especially this time of the year. Just look at those yellow flowers blanketing the rolling hills and then those lavendar powder puffs growing up through the cactus in the foreground. I don't think those are cactus flowers (but what do I know?). I'm wondering if they could be thistles. What a nice day, just you and your pop.
sounds like a wonderful day....the country out there looks so amazing...and that you could share it with those that are dear to you as well. hope you got some rest. have a marvelous sunday!
Maha - Yes, I am blessed with a large, happy family. Thank you for your kind words.
Kathy - Yes, you're right...those are thistles...I was looking for Eeyore to pop up.
Brian - I did love my day with my dad, thank you. And my Sunday started off super. Tracy and I met up with Kathy and walked around the historic Roosevelt District downtown. I have met the nicest people while blogging. Present company included. :)
nature walk is refreshing, loved the comfortable feelings your post brings forth.
Post a Comment