gracefully surrendering the things of youth”….this is one of my favorite lines from Desiderata by Max Ehrmann. I hear it in my head, when I try to do something that is now beyond me.
Yesterday, I spent the day with my dad. He needed help getting around to some doctor appointments and I was more than happy to help him. He hurt his back recently and was in a good deal of pain.
I could hear the frustration in his voice when he talked about how he could no longer do the things he had in the past. How he felt helpless when his wife needed his strength and it wasn’t there. That has to be hard, especially for a man since all their lives they’re taught to be all about strength and protection. But there comes a time in a man’s life when he needs to understand he’s valuable for so many more reasons than physical strength and he needs to “gracefully surrender” that mantle.
Wisdom, strength of character, guidance and love are hopefully strengths he’s cultivated over the years. I know my father has and I hope he can see his value and purpose through my eyes.
2 comments:
Your post touched my heart.
Over at Brattcat's blog you said that you father had a particular opinion about the example she gave of dripping water. I am intruiged,. What angle did your father contend all those years. I somehow think I might just agree with him.
I would love to know more if you might care to post about it.
Post a Comment